Financing plaintiffs and defendants with meritorious positions in IP litigation matters
What we do
After investing millions, or even billions, developing intellectual property, many companies, universities and other entities face the challenge of justifying spending still more to protect it through enforcement or litigation. Litigation finance offers an alternative that enables companies to maximise their profits and minimise their expenses.
We work with law firms and companies across the spectrum of IP matters. Because of our market-leading size and expertise, we can consider a host of transactions and structures, including traditional litigation finance, protection from fee-shifting awards, and the outright purchase of patent portfolios.
- Non-recourse financing of fees and/or expenses for IP portfolios or single patent cases
- Move litigation costs off corporate balance sheets
- Shift litigation risk from client or firm to a third party
- Purchase (or finance the purchase of) patent assets from leading companies and inventors
- De-risk trial judgments to allow parties and counsel to monetize portion of their success
- Structure large settlements and accelerate settlement and licensing proceeds
- Protect litigants against fee-shifting awards through our affiliate, Athena FSP, under Section 285 of the Patent Act
How we’re different
With an in-house team of experts in patent and intellectual property litigation, we have the expertise to assess cases quickly and efficiently. And because we have our own permanent capital readily available, we are able to provide clients and firms with the financing they need—when they need it.
Veterans of the world’s top law firms, Burford’s team combines knowledge and experience in law with the financial savvy to consistently innovate new financing options for clients and law firms.