The Spring 2018 Quarterly emphasizes the growing role of legal finance across world markets, provides updates on relevant court cases and legislation and features a Q&A about international arbitration with David W. Rivkin, Co-Chair of Debevoise & Plimpton’s International Dispute Resolution Group.
The Spring 2018 issue of the Quarterly includes:
- Legal finance, the unwritten story
Burford committed three times the amount of capital—$1.3 billion—in 2017 than it did the prior year, demonstrating the continued exponential growth in demand for legal finance.
- Q&A: An interview with David W. Rivkin
David W. Rivkin, Co-Chair of Debevoise & Plimpton’s International Dispute Resolution Group, discusses the substantial role that legal finance now plays in international arbitration.
- Legal finance Q&A: A roundtable of leading lawyers in Hong Kong and Singapore
Top lawyers discuss the numerous advantages, misconceptions and avenues for growth in Asian markets.
- Unlocking the value of legal assets: An interview from the front lines of legal finance
Burford Managing Directors Emily Slater and Craig Arnott respond to common questions regarding litigation finance.
- After we say yes: How case monitoring works
Learn about how Burford uses case management and monitoring to add value to cases, stay ahead of new developments and support clients.
- Work product protection for legal finance
Recent court cases have shown general support for including legal finance under the umbrella of the work product doctrine, which safeguards the rights of those pursuing litigation finance.
- The accounting benefits of legal finance for IP
Finance providers allow companies to pursue litigation without adding to corporate balance sheets by assuming the risks and costs associated with IP litigation.
- A model of efficiency: Case expense financing for law firms
Utilizing legal finance to fund case expenses—like experts or local counsel—allows law firms to reduce expenditures and maximize profits.
- Market update: The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA) and legal finance in the US
Burford analyzes the ways that the 2017 Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA) will impact the field of litigation finance.
Complete the form below to download the full issue of the Burford Quarterly.