The Winter 2017 Quarterly analyzes the current trends and topics in legal finance impacting the United States, United Kingdom and European Union legal industries and describes what lawyers need to know to navigate the turbulent terrain.
Download the Burford Quarterly
The Winter 2017 issue of the Quarterly includes:
- The long- and short-term impacts of Brexit on the UK legal industry
The UK’s decision to leave the EU raises new questions surrounding the future of judgment enforcement and jurisdiction.
- English High Court ruling allows the recovery of arbitration finance costs
The case set a precedent that includes litigation funding as “other costs” under the s59(1)(c) jurisdiction of the Arbitration Act of 1996.
- Competition-ready: Developments in competition litigation in the UK and EU
Trends show that litigation finance is becoming an increasingly important tool to bring and defend complex competition actions.
- Innovating legal cost management: Comparing the UK and US
More sophisticated tools—like legal finance—can help UK lawyers to innovate in more far-reaching and sophisticated ways.
- FTC study on Patent Assertion Entities is informative—but fundamentally incomplete
While the study provided a substantial amount of data, the FTC failed to realize its primary objective of understanding the actual effect of PAEs on innovation and competition.
- Getting to “yes”: What lawyers need to know about Burford’s litigation finance diligence process
Burford details the factors that are considered when selecting optimal candidates for funding.
- Q&A: An interview with Peter Haje
Peter Haje, lead director of Time Warner Cable and member of Burford’s investment committee, offers insight and advice about legal finance and the business of law.