Information We Collect
In operating our Site, we may collect and process the following data about you:
- Information that you provide directly to us by filling in forms on our Site, such as company name, name, and e-mail address.
- Information collected from ad networks, internet service providers, data analytics providers, government entities, operating system platforms, and/or social networks.
- Information provided to us when you communicate with us for any reason.
By submitting a telephone number to Burford, you agree that a representative of Burford, or a third party on Burford’s behalf, can contact you at the number you provide, potentially using automated technology or a pre-recorded message. Your consent is not an obligation to receive any of our products and/or services.
A “cookie” is a piece of text which asks permission to be placed on your computer’s hard drive. Once you agree, this cookie file is stored on the hard drive of your computer. They help us and our affiliates to improve our Site. They present the content from our Site in the most effective manner for you and your computer.
All computers have the ability to decline cookies. This can be done by activating the setting on your browser which enables you to decline the cookies. Please note that should you choose to decline cookies, you may be unable to access particular parts of our Site.
We do not track our users across websites. We do not use flash cookies on our Site.
Use of Your Information
The information that we collect and store relating to you is primarily used to enable us to provide our products and/or services to you in the best possible manner. In addition, we may use the information for the following purposes:
- To provide you with information relating to our services and/or products;
- To fulfil or meet the reason you provided the information;
- To provide third parties with statistical information about the users of our Site;
- To monitor and conduct an analysis of our Site traffic and usage patterns;
- To respond to law enforcement requests and as required by applicable law, court order or governmental regulations;
- To analyze trends;
- To evaluate or conduct a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution or other sale or transfer of some or all of our assets, whether as a going concern or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation, or similar proceeding, in which personal information held by us about our Site users is among the assets transferred.
We will not use personal information or sensitive personal information for purposes other than to provide you with our products and/or services, or as otherwise expressly permitted by applicable law. We will not use your personal information for cross-context behavioral advertising.
To secure your information, we have put in place commercially suitable physical, electronic, and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect on our Site.
Nonetheless, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure and therefore we cannot guarantee the security of data sent to us electronically on our Site, and transmission of such data is therefore entirely at your own risk.
Disclosing Your Information
Where applicable, we may disclose your personal information to any affiliated business entities or third parties necessary to provide products and/or services to you. This includes, where applicable, our subsidiaries, our holding company and its other subsidiaries (if any), as well as third parties involved in the administration and operation of our products and/or services. We may also disclose your personal information to other third parties, such as:
- Where we sell or share any or all of our business and/or our assets to a third party, whether through bankruptcy proceedings or other sale or merger.
- Where we are legally required to disclose your information, including, but not limited to, pursuant to a valid subpoena, order, search warrant or other law enforcement request.
- When we are contractually obligated to disclose it.
Where we disclose personal information for a purpose set forth herein, we enter a contract with the third party that describes the purpose and requires the third-party recipient to both keep that personal information confidential and not use it for any purpose except performing the contract.
We do not sell your personal information or share your personal information for cross-context behavioral advertising, to or with third parties.
Third Party Websites
By accessing third party websites through our Site, you are consenting to the terms and privacy policies of those websites. We do not accept any responsibility or liability for their policies whatsoever as we have no control over them.
Users Only of Legal Age of Majority
Our Site is designed and intended for those who have reached the age of majority (18 years of age). By using our Site, you affirm that you are at least 18 years of age or older. We are not liable for any damages that may result from a user’s misrepresentation of age.
No one under age 13 is authorized to submit or post any information, including personally identifying information, on our Site. Under no circumstances may anyone under age 13 use our Site. Parents or legal guardians of children under 13 cannot agree to these Terms on their behalf.
California Privacy Rights
If you are a resident of California, you have the following rights under the California Privacy Rights Act/the California Consumer Privacy Act (“CPRA/CCPA”):
- to know what categories of personal information about you we have collected and used, including how the personal information was collected;
- to know what categories of personal information is being sold or disclosed and if it is being sold or disclosed to third parties and a list of categories of information that are sold, or, if applicable, to know that your personal information has not been sold;
- to opt out of the sale of your personal information;
- to access your personal information, including the right to download or transfer personal information collected during the previous 12 months;
- to request that your personal information be corrected;
- to request that we limit our use of your sensitive personal information;
- to request that your personal information be deleted;
- to request that we not share and use your personal information for cross-context behavioral advertising; and
- to equal service and equal price for goods or services even if you exercise your rights under the CPRA/CCPA.
If you are a California resident and you want to exercise any of your rights as set forth above, please contact Compliance at 212-235-6820 or firstname.lastname@example.org. For all requests, it is helpful to put the statement “California Privacy Rights” in the body of your request, describe the nature of your request, and provide your name, street address, city, state, and zip code. In your request, you need to attest to the fact that you are a California resident and provide a current California address for our response.
We will not discriminate or retaliate against you for exercising any of your CPRA/CCPA rights. Unless permitted by the CPRA/CCPA, we will not:
- Deny you goods or services.
- Charge you different prices or rates for goods or services, including through granting discounts or other benefits, or imposing penalties.
- Provide you a different level or quality of goods or services.
- Suggest that you may receive a different price or rate for goods or services or a different level or quality of goods or services.
For more information on these rights and how to exercise them, click here https://www.burfordcapital.com/privacy-notice-for-california-consumers/
350 Madison Avenue
New York, NY 10017
Effective Date: January 1, 2023